School Visits by Don Winn
Don Winn can visit your school in person or by Skype. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Scroll down to read descriptions of the programs Don offers for kids of all ages and programs specifically for parents and educators.
Note: Presentations for students can be adapted for different age groups and special circumstances.
Author Visits for Younger Students
Perfect for grades K-3! The optional workshop on "How to Write an Animal Fable" can be adapted for students in grades 4 and 5 as well. This author visit includes:
- Picture book readings with projected pictures
- Q&A with students
- Book sales at a discounted price
- Book signing
- Optional slide presentation on “How a Book is Made”
- Optional workshop on "How to Write an Animal Fable"
- Supplemental learning materials available on the Resources page
Author Visits for Older Students
Schedule an author visit with Don Winn and get a feel for medieval adventure with the multiple-award-winning Sir Kaye the Boy Knight series. Great for grades 3 and up. This author visit includes:
- Illustrated historical presentation on medieval life for grades 3 & up
- Q&A with students
- Book signing and sales at a discounted price
- Visits can be adapted for different age groups and special needs.
- Special opportunity: For a limited number of select schools see a bird of prey up close with a co-visit by a local falconer and learn some fascinating facts about these magnificent birds and their importance in medieval times.
Plan a classroom or school-wide community reading project using one of the Sir Kaye books. Lesson plans available on the Resources page. School discounts for the Sir Kaye books are available, please contact email@example.com.
Author Visits for Parents and Educators
These two presentations are also great for PTAs and PTOs.
Discuss, Understand, Grow!
Have you ever wondered how to get the most out of the time you spend reading with your child? Children’s picture book author and shared reading advocate Don Winn is here to help. In his presentation “Discuss, Understand, Grow!” he addresses the following topics:
- Why does shared reading have such an impact on a child?
- The best way to help children benefit from shared reading
- What children remember the longest about shared reading
- Using different types of questions
- Creating active thinkers
- Dealing with unexpected replies from kids
- Helping children find positive role models in stories
- Using stories to help kids make decisions before a situation arises
- And much more!
Dyslexic Readers: Meeting Challenges, Reaping Rewards
A dyslexic reader and writer, Don speaks first-hand of the challenges of the written word and how he's come to embrace it. Don offers resources and information for understanding and motivating the at-risk, struggling reader. Current data and strategies from Yale University shed new light on ways to help a unique group of students.